Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Motorized Garden Cart (abandoned)


The Garden Cart:

I scoured the internet for small carts which might make a suitable indoor/outdoor vehicle for plant nurseries, hospitals, manufacturers, etc. to carry small items up to about 200 lbs. and could be driven by one person in wide hallways or warehouse floors or gravelled/paved paths. I eventually found one for about $70 at a local wholesale club. This will form the basis for the motorized garden cart.


The Steering System:

I considered removing the front wheels and attaching a scooter front end as was done with the motorized tractor cart project, but decided that I would prefer to try to use the existing cart steering and wheels instead-minus the pull handle. I have chosen the Morse Rotary steering kit ($99, marineengineparts.com) to turn the cart tiller (where the pull handle would normally attach), and a $25 steering wheel. All that is needed is a set of cable clamps and a pedestal to support the 'helm' (steering box).


The Drive System:

A wheel motor won't work here with the current axle configuration. I could have a special wheel bracket fabricated to support a wheel motor, but prefer the idea of sprocket and chain drive and maybe even one or two drill motors (removed from their plastic case). The motors would drive the cart from 0-6 mph or so. Even a relatively small amp-hour  24 volt battery pack might power such a vehicle.


Thursday, October 7, 2010

Postmortem: I strapped the drill onto the underside of the cart and tested it with chain and sprocket. I abandoned the project before installing the steering wheel. It was unstable with my weight over the front axle and the chain kept slipping off the sprocket. I maybe could have moved the seat more centered over the basket like a buckboard, but was just tired of the project. SF


Additional Links: