Friday, September 10, 2010

Camper Shed Plan

A friend asked me to build a shed for his 35’ gooseneck camper. After taking measurements, we decided it needed to be 13’ high to clear the A/C unit on the roof, and 14’ wide to allow the side door and bedroom and living area extensions to open completely. He had a bike rack on the back, so the length needed to be 41’. Here is the plan I came up with and sent out to two companies in the area for bids. We will erect it ourselves…

VISIO-shedplanview

VISIO-dblwdcpt

Bids for 3 different widths were sent out: 14’, 18’ and 30’. The bid my friend accepted was for $6,100.00 for an 18’ wide that could be unbolted and moved, if necessary. That was a bit more than what you would pay for something that size from one of the internet companies that make portable sheds, but this manufacturer’s unit is designed to withstand hurricane force winds – a necessity in the gulf coast area where we live.

Note: The posts will be I-beams (stronger) and the purlins will be Zees according to the salesperson. I have never built a cover using these materials…this should be interesting?

To  get visio drawings into the blog, I ‘print’ from visio using the free open-source PDFCreator driver. When the PDFCreator window pops up, I click save, then select jpg file type. I open the file with Windows 7 paint, select the area to desired, copy and paste directly into Windows Live Writer. (you can copy more than one image from one window in paint this way.) The quality is much better than my first attempt which used the clipboard to copy from visio to paint – bypassing PDFCreator.

Other construction projects I have done over the years (most using VISIO):

  • 10’ x 30’ insulated shed in my back yard enclosed in corrugated tin
  • 10’ x 16’ deck and 5’ x 8’ deck at my son-in-law’s house
  • 16’ x 30’ deck at my son-in-law’s father’s house
  • 6’ x 8’ deck at my son-in-law’s sister’s house
  • 25’ x 50’ carport cover for my house
  • 25’ x 42’ carport cover for my son-in-law’s house
  • A-frame dog house for my son-in-law; see http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-an-insulated-A-Frame-doghouse-for-under-75/