Friday, September 10, 2010

Music Projects from the 90’s

I used to play my guitar fairly often when home after work. It relaxed me. I would pick out melodies and sometimes develop them into songs. I had a nice 2-channel IBM microphone that had been bundled with some PC jungle game that I used to record myself playing the guitar on the computer I had at the time. I stumbled across the DirectMusic Producer midi sequencing software (deprecated but still available) one day and thought I would try it out to sequence simple tunes. After a moderate learning curve, I began to have fun with it and discovered that sequencing my guitar melodies as piano just sounded better. So most of what I came up with had piano as the main instrument. Here are some of the tunes I created…

Dancing in the Rain – joyful melody; energetic

The Storm – driven melody; nice bass line

Yukon Territory – melody inspired by a trip to Canada

In the Groove – upbeat melody; makes me think of a lead-in for a TV series

Daydream – a fun melody with piano and flute

I made two homemade CD’s and sent a few copies to CD Baby. I sold 1 CD. Oh well, I had fun making the songs, anyway. I think some time after I made the above melodies I became interested playing the Cajun accordion or fiddle, and even went to Cajun jam sessions a few times with my guitar. I bought a Cajun accordion and fiddle, but lately just don’t have the motivation to learn how to play them well.